Move over, ice cream! It’s time for a healthier frozen dessert that is totally customizable, totally delicious and will totally be a family favorite!
It’s easier to make than you’d think! All you need is a food processor and/or an ice cream maker, plus any toppings that’ll make your family smile! Berries? Sure thing! Granola? You bet! The best part of frozen yogurt is that anything you can think of will most likely make a great topping, so get creative and let you kids choose what they want on top.
Ingredients (yields about 4 servings)
3 1/2 cups of your favorite frozen fruit (berries and peaches are particularly great!)
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 TBSP lemon juice
1. In a food processor, combine frozen fruit and sugar until coarsely chopped.
2. Combine yogurt and lemon juice in a measuring cup and, with the food processor on, gradually add to the fruit and sugar mixture through the top.
3. Continue to process until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Make sure you’re scraping down the sides every now and then so every last tasty bit gets in!
4. For a softer frozen yogurt, serve immediately. For something firmer and more along the lines of traditional frozen yogurt, put in the freezer for at least 1 hour before serving.
5. Go crazy with toppings and enjoy!
1. If you have an ice cream maker, you can still use this recipe, but be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for making the perfect frozen yogurt.
2. Don’t have superfine sugar? You can usually find it in the baking isle of your supermarket, but if you’d like you can grind regular sugar in the processor until it is nice and fine. This prevents the frozen yogurt from having a grainy texture.
Tried this recipe? Let us know what you think! What is your family’s favorite toppings?